2012 Champaign St. Jude Runners

2012 Champaign St. Jude Runners
Our AMAZING group of runners for 2012~

St. Jude Supporters

St. Jude Supporters
After running for 20 hours, the thousands of supporters lining the streets to cheer our arrival is an important and welcome boost!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Kathleen: My Turn

Okay, so I've always thought blogging was a little pointless (my apologies to all the bloggers out there), but hey, I can't let my husband get all the glory :-), so now it's my turn.

Where do I even begin explaining my involvement with St. Jude? I suppose I could say it started from birth. Having the privilege of being born half Lebanese, I'm sure somewhere in that large Lebanese family tree Danny Thomas, Hollywood entertainer and founder of the St. Jude Research Hospital, is a distant relative. And here's what the Lebanese do, they support other Lebanese; so when a cousin wants to start a hospital for sick kids, we get behind him and support him. From grade school days all the way through to today, the kids of St. Jude have always held a special place in my heart.

But, what made me want to run for the kids? That seed was planted from the days of working in Peoria at WEEK-TV, the station that broadcasts the local telethon for the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate. Every year, WEEK employees volunteer their time in broadcasting the telethon; definitely a highlight of the year for a lot of us (anyone remember the year Wayne Newton made a surprise appearance?). For me, the highlight of the telethon was the arrival of the runners. What an awe inspiring sight to see hundreds of runners, who for miles and miles gave it their all, physically and mentally, to help the kids of St. Jude. And every year, like a dutiful Cubs fan, I would say "next year". Next year I'm running. But, like every loyal Cubs fan knows, next year never came.

Fast forward to 2010. One day last spring, while out on my quiet, 3-mile morning run, I was suddenly inspired. This year. This was going to be the year I ran for the kids. The feeling was so strong, I couldn't breathe (not good while running). Here was a dream of mine about to be fulfilled. But, then the doubts crept in. Can I really run a 100+ mile overnight relay while sleep deprived? Can I train enough to be ready by August? I knew enough about the St. Jude runs to be deterred and scared. But, then, could I live with myself if I had given in to my fears? Couldn't I just write a check to St. Jude and say "next year"? Absolutely not....2010 was going to be the year. God gave me a strong pair of legs, and I was going to do something good with them. I got home, shared my news with Ed, who looked at me like I was oxygen deprived (which I may have been), and having his full support I signed up for the Champaign to Peoria Run. In what some may consider karma, coincidence, or the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I got an email later that day from my sister Jen, who told me she had just signed up to run the St. Jude Tri-County Run. I had no idea she was thinking of running too. Wow! Meeting my sister at the finish line...2010 was meant to be!

August 6, 2010 - the day arrives. Ed, Hallie and I showed up at the Meijer parking lot ready to meet the other runners and head out of town. To say I was a bundle of nerves was an understatement. Being somewhat shy, the thought of spending the next 24 hours with total strangers was completely unnerving. Would anyone want to be my friend? I felt like it was the first day of college all over again. I was completely out of my comfort zone and ready to bolt home. But, if we all stay in our comfort zones life would be boring and unfulfilling. I was here for three reasons: 1. The kids of St. Jude 2. As a philanthropic example to our daughter.  3. To fulfill a 20 year old dream. Next year was here.

Next time: 24 hours that changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment