2012 Champaign St. Jude Runners

2012 Champaign St. Jude Runners
Our AMAZING group of runners for 2012~

St. Jude Supporters

St. Jude Supporters
After running for 20 hours, the thousands of supporters lining the streets to cheer our arrival is an important and welcome boost!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ed: To run, or not run, in the rain

Well, the grand scheme of running this morning is delayed a touch. Thunderstorms are rattling through the area, and looks like it will be raining for a few hours.

Of course, that brings up the question of what will happen when we run to Peoria. No fair calling off the run because of the rain! In fact, my very own sister reminded me of the fact that last December I was to participate in a 5K run in support of homeless folks...it was in a downpour--and I ran exactly, uh, about 100 yards and gave up.

Kathleen, of course, powered through it and ran (even slogging through 18" flood waters).

So what about a 109 mile course in the summer? What are the chances of getting rained on in early August? Pretty good, I hope! Kathleen tells me that in sweltering heat, a rain is welcome.

The problem this morning is fairly straightforward--I only have one pair of running shoes and one pair of running clothes. Kathleen has been admonishing me to go out get an extra pair just for days like this.

...looks like it's time make a run to the store.

St. Jude, St. Jude, St. Jude

4 comments:

  1. Getting outfitted in snappy running clothes helps you mentally. Seriously. You will feel better about how you look and want to put on those clothes - and new shoes.

    Run Forest! Run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 100 yards???? My left butt..., You wasted no time running back to the house and got all snuggled up with a hot cup of coffee! I have very high hopes for my bro this time! You're faster! You're stronger! You're older! Go Team Smith! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not fair!

    I checked GoogleEarth and I actually ran 162 yards before I gave up in the downpour and whimpered home for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't count the carport, foyer, going upstairs to dad's to get your hot coffee, then back downstairs!

    ReplyDelete