2012 Champaign St. Jude Runners

2012 Champaign St. Jude Runners
Our AMAZING group of runners for 2012~

St. Jude Supporters

St. Jude Supporters
After running for 20 hours, the thousands of supporters lining the streets to cheer our arrival is an important and welcome boost!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ed: Getting ready for the run. T-24 days.

Well, it's less than a month away now, and Kathleen and I are getting prepared for our run to Peoria on August 5th - 6th. Basically we are preparing by running almost every day (Kathleen more so than me...I'm still working up to that). We've been pushing through the humidity and the heat, but it's all about raising money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

I've chosen to run a circuit around our neighborhood. It's familiar to me and I know exactly where I should be and when. I know where to add an extra block to add distance, or exactly where the distance markers are for each step. I visualize the distances and the goals, and just set my pace so I don't fatigue out.

Kathleen mentioned something that helps her...and it helps me. To keep pushing when I think it is easier to stop and walk, I silently repeat "St. Jude, St Jude, St. Jude" as I pace (as in right foot "Saint," left foot "Jude"). I also think of the children that need help...with a young daughter in our family, we can easily relate to the need--but thankful we have a healthy child.

I ran this morning...and plan to run again tonight. Stay tuned!

St. Jude, St. Jude, St. Jude.

Today's video of why we run:

1 comment:

  1. You go Ed!I remember seeing Kathleen last year while they were stopped in a parking lot and getting ready for their turn to run come in. I was on the bridge and saw her blocks away. I waved and yelled and she saw me. It was a memorable moment for us both. You will totally understand those "moments" once you make that first step on the pavement. See you then!! Eileen

    ReplyDelete